MidiGAL is yet another MIDI controller device inspired by Mutable Instruments MIDIpal.
MidiGAL can run original unmodified Mutable Instruments MIDIpal firmware midipal_v14. There is also a number of other firmware variants that were developed specifically for MidiGAL:
- MidiClk — MIDI clock tester/generator (see below for new and improved version)
- MidiArp — advanced MIDI arpeggiator
- MidiSeq — polyphonic MIDI step sequencer
- MidiDisp — MIDI events dispatcher
- MidiClock — MIDI Clock tester (improved MidiClk MIDI clock tester)
- MidiSync — MIDI Clock generator (improved MidiClk MIDI clock generator)
- MidiGrids — Mutable Instruments Grids for MIDI (experimental, great with Digitakt)
MidiGAL differences from MIDIpal
MidiGAL hardware is a superset of the original MIDIpal hardware:
- 8×2 LCD (MIDIpal uses 8×1)
- tactile switch (MIDIpal has no switch)
- external EEPROM (MIDIpal has no external EEPROM)
- 4 x I/O ports (MIDIpal has 8 of them)
Bill of materials: MidiGAL BOM
Build instructions: Building MidiGAL
Case files: MidiGAL_Case_4 (thanks to Altitude909)
Test firmware with source code: MidiGAL_src (good starting point if you want to develop your own MIDI processing firmware for MidiGAL)
This case requires 4 x 10mm (top) and 4 x 22mm (bottom) standoffs.
It is compatible with both long (25mm) and short (20mm) shaft encoders. Long encoder works with pretty much any 6mm D-shaft knob, whereas the short one needs a knob with 8mm skirt or less.
It expects rectangular switch button, the one that is specified in the BOM (TACBLK)
The .EPS file is formatted for Ponoko/Formular but any place should be able to accept it.
To order MidiGAL, please send an email to pete at kvitek c o m specifying how many PCBs and pre-programmed MCUs you need, a country where to ship them, and an email address to send the PayPal invoice to.
MidiGAL PCB — $20
Pre-programmed ATMega328p — $10 (please specify the firmware variant)
Acrylic case with all the required hardware (stand offs, screws, nuts and rubber legs): — $30
Continental USA — $5 (California residents add 8.75% tax)
Canada — $15 or $20, if pre-built or a case is included
Europe — $20 or $25, if pre-built or a case is included
Australia — $20 or $25, if pre-built or a case is included
Please make sure your PayPal shipping address is correct!
If you don’t trust your soldering skills, we can build a MidiGAL or two for you. The order is usually fulfilled in a couple of days. Fully assembled MidiGAL in an acrylic case is $145 plus shipping, please email pete at kvitek c o m for details if you are interested.
Starting with March 2018, all fully assembled MidiGALs are SMT, unless you request otherwise. MidiGAL SMT is functionally identical to its original through hole variant and has exactly the same form factor: